Saturday, July 28, 2012

Name Advice: Baby Conley #2

I recently stumbled over a post on the Pregnancy & Newborn Magazine Facebook page from one of their Dad's Eye View bloggers, Josh Conley. Josh also writes about life as a dad in his hilarious blog, Man vs. Baby.

Josh described in this particular Dad's Eye View blog post how he and his lovely wife Leah are having a tough time deciding on a name for their second child. The gender is a surprise, so they are in need of names for a boy or a little lady. The list of names they are considering includes Isaac, Founder, and Emmett for boys; Amelia, Lily, and Alice for girls.

I (of course) jumped in with some suggestions that played on some of the names in their list --

"I'll make some suggestions: Everett Miles Conley, Atticus Seth Conley, Silas Gabriel Conley. Patience Amelia Conley, Lila Gabrielle Conley, Elise Ophelia Conley. I have lots, lots more if you still need help!"

His wife Leah liked my comment, and replied:

"Wow, Name Tag, those are great suggestions and actually a lot of them we considered but didn't put on the list. I'd love more suggestions. I like the old school names that are totally pronounceable but not so common."


You guys know how in-depth I like to get when someone asks for help, so I think this warrants a blog post.

Here goes!

photo courtesy of  adampieniazek 


 I wasn't able to find the name of their first child, a son affectionately referred to as "Bub," so there's a chance I might suggest it, or come up with names that might clash in sound and style.

I tried to stay away from names that ended in an -ee sound, as they sound a bit sing-songy with their last name, Conley (i.e. Audrey Conley). I also nixed names that ended in a -c or -k, so they wouldn't run into the hard C of Conley (i.e. Merrick Conley). Names that had an N in the ending spot also sounded too harsh with Conley (i.e. Simon Conley). I wasn't sure how they felt about alliteration, but I think it works in some instances, and makes the entire name memorable (Clara Conley).

They seem to have an interest in Pilgrim-style names, and as Leah mentioned, "old school names that are totally pronounceable but not so common." I kept these in mind as well when coming up with ideas.

Girls:
Claudia Florence
Adelaide Willa
Eleanor Olive
Frances Louisa
Eliza Truth
Matilda Charlotte
Agnes Priscilla
Mabel Estella
Clara Lucille
Lucinda Blythe

Boys:
Felix Tobias
Archer Solomon
Winslow Benedict
Ambrose Julius
Thaddeus Vincent
August Xavier
Moses Leander
Hugo Steadfast
Ellis Theodore
Merit Oliver

Any winners?

No comments:

Post a Comment