Monday, July 23, 2012

Name Advice: A Sibling for Emma Rose


Hello,
I love your blog! I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on a couple of names that I've been thinking of for our next baby. My daughter, Emma Rose, is now 10 months old.  Sadly, I have been having naming remorse for months now as I regret that her name is too common. I love classic (but not common) names and I am apprehensive that Emma will have several other children with her moniker in her classes when she starts school. I also had the names: Calla, Sophia, Ayla, Isla, Fiona, Athena, Marin and Zoe on our list for her but I chose Emma when I held her for the first time. Daddy's last name is Five-Syllable-Greek-Name-Ending-In-"is" (very long and very Greek) so I wanted her name to be "clean" (not to frilly/unusual) and simple- hence Emma Rose. I still love all of the names on my original list so I'm not opposed to using them again, as we are now trying for baby #2.


For boys I like: Oscar, Asher, Milo, Evan, Noah, Alexander, David...


Zoe, Athena and Sophia are very Greek and would make Yia-Yia (grandma) very happy to give a nod to her Hellenistic heritage. I am Jewish and would love to incorporate a Hebrew name this time around if possible. I'm also a florist/avid gardener so floral names are very intriguing to me. I toyed with Iris, Violet, Cassia, Aster but none of those seemed to work.


Would love to hear your thoughts, as you have such a talent for the tricky business of naming!

photo courtesy of  aster-oid 


First of all, I want to say: if the only thing you regret about naming your child Emma Rose is the possible popularity problem: please, don't beat yourself up. The story of why you named her Emma is very heartfelt, and you had all the right intentions; it's not like you named her Stinky Weasel. Emma Rose is very lovely!

Also, as far as popularity goes, I'll give you a little anecdote. My name is Melissa. I was born in 1983. Part of the reason I became so fascinated with names was because I knew so many other Melissas, and I didn't feel unique. Here are some numbers: the year I was born, my name was the sixth most popular girls name, according to the social security lists. How many girls got my name that year? 23,466. Zip ahead nearly thirty years -- guess how many girls get the #1 most popular name nowadays? 21,695. People are using the most popular names less often. While it's likely your little Emma will come in contact with other Emmas, I'm guessing it won't be nearly like the days of yore. I also think the lack of a "unique" name was a catalyst for me to stand out from the crowd.

I'm curious as to your reasons for tossing out the name Iris. I'll be upfront: this is my personal favorite name. But it also fits in with all of your criteria: Flower name, Hebrew (Irus), and Greek ("rainbow"); classic and not too common. The only reason I can see for it being a problem is the similar ending to your partner's name, Five-Syllable-Greek-Name-Ending-In-"is". Usually, I am an advocate for first and last names with different ending sounds and letters. In this case, however, I'm going to make an exception. I think that by the time you get to the end of Five-syllable-Greek-Name-Ending-In-"is", you've had enough to take your mind off of Iris also ending with an -is. Also, having such a behemoth of a surname, the similar endings could ultimately lead to name retention -- I could see Iris Five-Syllable-Greek-Name-Ending-In-"is" as a news reporter or an author. C'mon, the name is perfect for you. It sounds great as a sibling for Emma, and it complements her middle name Rose. You can slap Anne or Jane in the middle and call it a day! If you're still having doubts about Iris, would Irene or Ione (pronounced eye-OWN-ee) possibly fit the bill?

Here are some other female names I think could work, incorporating some of the names you like, and some that are new suggestions for you:

Zoe Shoshana - Zoe was a Greek name on your list; I paired it with the pretty Hebrew word for lily. Zoe is also a name that is accepted as an English name amongst Jews -- double whammy! I've seen Shoshana as meaning "rose" which seems a bit strange to me -- it seems pretty obviously a variant Susan. This delightful Rabbi clears things up (sort of): Ask The Rabbi

Sophia Nurit - Sophia, another Greek name on your list. I paired it with Nurit, the Hebrew word for buttercup/ranunculus. If you are concerned about the popularity of the name Emma, Sophia/Sofia is just as "bad." Nurit Sophia would also make a nice choice. Or, just call her Buttercup 'til she's out on her own! Another possibility is Ardice Sophia. Ardice is Hebrew for "blossoming field," making it a double whammy Jewish friendly-flowery name. I'm just a little worried about Ar-diss running into the So-fia. I also like Marin Sophia/Sofia.

Sylvie Athena - I fudged a little to get Sylvie, but follow my reasoning. Sylvia is a name very commonly used in traditional Jewish families. Why? I think the link might be the similarity to the Yiddish Silka or Hebrew Tzilla. Sylvia is still saddled with old lady overtones, however, so the sprightly French Sylvie lightens it up. It's also a natural name, meaning "wood" or "from the forest." Plus, it's another one of my very favorite names, right alongside Iris. Athena's another Greek name from your list, and I like making Yia-Yias around the world happy! EDIT: I just realized the initials with your last name spells something melancholy, which is making ME melancholy because I like this so much. Sylvie Cassandra? Sylvie Catherine/Sylvie Kate/Sylvie Cate. Sylvie Helena! Sylvie Calista. Sylvie Cosima!!

Lilac Fiona - Lilac is a lovely flower, and Fiona is one of the prettiest names ever. This kind of makes my heart swoon.

Daphne Talia - Daphne is the Greek word for laurel (Dafna in Hebrew), and Talia is Hebrew for dew. I can just picture some shiny morning dew on rich, green laurel leaves. It's a stunning picture. If you wanted to go extra Greek, Thalia means "to flourish." She was one of the Three Graces and the Muse of Comedy.

Hazel Odessa - There's Hazel the hazelnut tree, and hazā'ēl , Hebrew for "god sees." Odessa is known as the Ukranian port town, but it was named after the Greek Homer's Odyssey.

Ione Esther -- Ione (eye-OWN-ee), Greek for violet. Esther, for the biblical gal. I think it's a winner.

Some other names I tossed around: Clio, Cybele, Thisbe, Helen, Dalit (Hebrew, "to draw water" -- hey, isn't that what flowers do?), Ziva, Aviva (Hebrew, "spring" -- when all the flowers are in bloom) Miriam, Clover, Ivy, Fern

photo courtesy of  cathibaber 


You seem to have less preface regarding boys names, so I'll expend a *little* less time fretting about them.

Moss Alexander -- Moss. It's that lush green stuff. It's a nickname for the Hebrew Moses. Only bad thing, it spells MA- with your last name. Argh! It was so perfect before that. Moss Leander? Moss Galen?

Asher Elias. Oscar Elias.

If you like Milo, I'm going to try to sell you on Philo. Yes, it rhymes. Here's the back story: the Ancient Philo was a Biblical philosopher who tried to merge Greek and Jewish thought. Is that amazingly perfect, or what? Philo David? Oscar Philo?

Anthos Tal - If you thought you couldn't have a Greek flower name for a boy, think again. Anthos means "flower" and is the root of many other words. It's a power name. Tal, as I mentioned earlier in the feminine form Talia, means "dew." A nice sentimental name for a boy without being trendy or overtly sappy.

Eli Alexander.

Leo Atlas -- It's just cool. Leo is one of those names that works for Greeks and Jews, and it's a quiet classic, like Emma. Atlas is awesome.

Some other names I tossed around: Alon/Allon, Amos, Ari, Oren, Silas, Niko, Linus, Cadmus

I hope this helps you get some new, fresh ideas. Efkaristo and Erev Tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment