Thursday, August 9, 2012

Needs Name Advice: Dangerously Overwhelmed



Hi! 

My name is Lauren and I came across your blog in my search for baby names among the endless sites that are supposed to be "helpful".  About 90% of the names on those sites are unusable!  I would very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions if you have the time.  We are expecting our 3rd in October and this one is a surprise so the task of searching through boy and girl names among the thousands of names out there is overwhelming.  I browsed the sites with my first 2 but my husband actually ended up with the winning first names and I did the middle.  We have Luke Edward and Mia Joelle.  He likes traditional, strong sounding names for boys and liked 'Mia' because it sounds so feminine.  I like ones that are a little more unique.  For right now we have decided on Cooper Danger (I gave into the middle name so it's decided) and Ava Blue (he doesn't like Blue).  I love the name Ava but hate that it's so popular though, I'm not opposed to using it.  We don't really have an official list but some of the names we like are:  Everett, Asa, Silas (boys) and Riley, Monroe, Lucille, Daisy, Lynnette, Amelia.

I'm really just overwhelmed and have kind of given up but don't want to regret it later.  
Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have.  

Here's what I think:

You don't seem entirely convinced about the names you've tentatively "chosen."

I'll throw out an analogy here. Remember these tattoos?


Yes, that's a barbed wire tattoo. They were a popular design back in the mid-'90s, fueled partly in thanks to the delightful Pam Anderson flick, "Barb Wire." Look at a page about tattoos on Urban Dictionary, and you'll see what the general population thinks of them now: they're often referred to as dated, callow, and apparently only people with a pathetic, inflated sense of machismo have these tattoos. Not so cool anymore, eh?

Giving your son the middle name "Danger" (and to a lesser extent, your daughter the middle name "Blue") is like giving them a permanent tattoo. It might seem cool and fun and trendy now, but they're pretty much stuck with it. Will the joke be so funny in 15 years? I don't know about you, but I don't find too many knock-knock jokes funny anymore. 

Blue was pretty hot for a minute, but now it just looks like people using it are just hopping on the bandwagon. If you truly love the name, and/or it holds some sort of meaning to you -- by all means, use it. If you're using it because it's a trendy filler name -- it's headed the way of barbed wire tattoos.

Here's another thing to consider: your other children have pretty nice, normal, wearable names. Maybe I'm just projecting here, but if my brother and I had "normal" names, and my mom popped out another kid named Charles Disaster...you bet your britches he'd be tormented. Big time. He wouldn't seem like part of the family; more like some piece of entertainment.

So let's get back to the children you have: Luke Edward and Mia Joelle. It appears you like short, honest names that are gender specific. From the lists you've given, Silas, Lucille, Daisy, and Lynette fit the bill. 

I'll list some other names you might want to consider. A lot of them are playful without being a joke:

Boys:
Arlo
Archer
Axel
Blaise
Bram
Calvin
Grant
Griffin
Forbes
Hugh
Knox
Jude
Oscar
Otis
Otto
Reid
Rex
Ross
Saul
Simon
Theo
Vaughn
Zeno

Girls:
Ada
Adele
Anya
Avis
Camille
Clea/Cleo/Clio
Coral
Dagny
Elise
Etta
Eve
Greta
Hazel
Isa
Ines/Inez
Irene
Iris
Ivy
Justine
Lisette
Olive
Opal - especially if she's born in October!
Patience
Poppy
Romy
Rosa/Rose
Rue
Silver/Sylvie
Stella
Tansy
Tillie
Tess
Veda

Some combinations I think might be nice with your last name:

Axel Everett C-
Calvin Fox C-
Theo Jasper C-
Ross Orion C-
Bram Zephyr C-
Archer Evergreen C-

Olive Amelia C-
Dagny Violet C-
Ivy Tallulah C-
Tess Opal C-
Veda Juliet C-
Lisette Fable C-


Hope this helps, and don't give up! If you need to take a break from names, do it. And don't feel pressured to have the name ready to go for your child if it doesn't feel right -- bring a few that you really like to the hospital and decide when you meet him or her, which one fits best. Best wishes!

2 comments:

  1. I think many middle names are tied to the decade in which they are most popular, and that's okay. Ava Blue is stunningly pretty - and Blue is just offbeat enough to balance Ava's popularity. She'll probably share her middle - but so will also those girls named Ava Grace, Ava Rose, and Ava Elizabeth. Blue wins style points from my perspective, and is more like Mia's unusual middle, Joelle.

    As for Danger? I wouldn't go so far as to call it dated. There have been boys with wacky, super-machismo middles for generations and always will be. Call me crazy, but what bugs me is the repeating -er sound of Cooper and Danger. William Danger seems wacky but reasonable to me. So from your short list, I like Everett Danger best. Luke, Mia, and Everett.

    Opinions vary, but it is fine to go a little wild in the middle spot. And you just can't know. If baby #3 is a boy and grows up to be an X Games competitor, well, Danger will be his middle name. If he's a bookworm or a banker, he might spend a lot of time pretending the D is for David. But you can't know, and he won't be the first boy with a punchline for a middle name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really too much beef with Blue, but I guess I just don't see the appeal of turning your kid into a punchline. Sure, he's not the first, and certainly not the last, but what do you gain as a parent from it?

      Delete