Monday, August 13, 2012

Needs Name Advice: Short and Sweet

Hello! 
I was wondering if you could recommend some names. My husband and I are at a stalemate with names for our soon approaching baby girl. 
While we both like the other's name choice, we much prefer our own better. I like Mila, he likes Gianna. I was thinking maybe Mila Noelle (maybe even Joelle). No clue what Gianna's middle name would be.
I don't want a child with a name at the top of all the lists, but these ones stand out even though they are somewhat popular.

I'd like to find a name, a whole new name, present it to hubby and we both fall in love with it. Is it even possible?!?! I like uncommon (for today), easy to say, feminine names. I think I'd prefer a shorter name also, Gianna is bordering on being too long.

Just for reference her brother's name is Robert Michael, which is a family name.
Any suggestions?
-A


Compact feminine names have been a favorite of parents of many decades, and were a huge hit throughout the 1900s-20s. Many silent screen actresses were given these as stage names, so the style seems very iconic. This trend with a vintage twist would stand out, yet still fit in with the tots of today.



Theda Bara in Cleopatra. Photo courtesy of  ocarchives


It seems you and your husband both like names with a heavy "e" sound that end in an "a". Some short, feminine names that fit the bill are:

Sia/Gia/Nia/Dia/Fia

Isa/Nisa
Clea/Thea
Lita
Lina/Nina
Eva/Neva
Mira
Sela(h) (can also be said with a short e)

Some short, feminine names that don't have the long-e:


Thora

Tana
Sasha
Tessa
Elka
Caia/Kaia/Maia
Etta
Lyra
Audra
Dessa/Kessa/Jessa
Nara/Zara/Mara
Nova
Calla

...and some names that don't quite fit in above, but I think you might like:


Mattise/Felice/Elise

Ruby
Romy
Maisie 
Junia
Delia
Milena
Ligeia
Gloria
Gillian
Giada
Geneva

And some combinations that I think might sound nice with your last name (which is removed for security, and hiding-from-the-family purposes):


Nina Paige

Audra Camille
Jessa Noelle
Kaia Roxanne
Milena Jade
Maisie Geneva
Mara Elise
Nova Maxine
Calla Brynn
Delia Eve 

Hopefully something here strikes a chord for you and the hubby! Best wishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment